Wednesday 25 September 2013

Is this what they call Selfless Love?

Today I came across a beautiful poem and really loved it, hence thought of putting it down here.........

Your children are not your children. 
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. 

They come through you but not from you, 
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you. 

You may give them your love but not your thoughts, 
For they have their own thoughts. 

You may house their bodies but not their souls, 
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams. 

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you. 
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

~Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

Before we decided to have our little one I always used to think of "how will my baby grow up?", "Will he/she turn out OK?", "What if he/she turns into an evil person?". Oh yes! I used to think all this and more!

But the day I set my eyes upon her I fell head over heels in love with her. It was the type of love  where in I loved her innocence, her tiny hands and feet, her long yawns, the twinkle in the eye.

I don't think I will be hurt if her views are not the same as mine. If the dreams I saw for her are not the same as what she dreams of. If she does not turn out to be the perfect person that I wanted her to be. If her interests are not the same as mine.

I can already see the little person in her. Being ever inquisitive, funny, cheeky and gorgeous.

I will love her for the person that she is and not what I wanted her to become.

I know we are going to have our share of disagreements as she grows up but I hope I will remember this in those times too!

No comments:

Post a Comment