Wednesday 8 October 2008

A Rainy Evening

For Cafe Writing: Option Two: Pick Three: “Pick at least three of the following nine words, and write a paragraph, scene, flash-fic, essay, blog entry or poem using them. The words are drop, evenings, glad, mist, motionless, murmur, pallid, rivulets, swoon”. I have chosen seven words.

Pitter-patter pitter-patter
Swish swoosh Swish swoosh

Be it the sound of rain drops falling on the window pane or the wind rustling in the leaves. It brings a sense of peace over me, suddenly I feel all the more closer to nature. The evening which was dull and dark a few moments before had suddenly turned lively with the leaves dancing in the rain as if welcoming the first drops of rain after the summer. I breathe deeply to fill my lungs with the refreshing scent petrichor.

Suddenly I hear a murmuring of voices and see the kids have come out. They run towards one of the many rivulets that have stemmed out of the earth now. Some have paper boats in their hands which they gently lower on to the water and their faces brighten up on seeing the boat moving with the flow of water. They start splashing water on each other.

I don't know how long I stood motionless, bewitched by the resplendence of nature unfolding before my eyes.

As I turn to leave the sky turns a shade darker. A bolt of lightening lights up the evening sky, seconds later it is followed by a deafening thunder. The kids look at each other and I can see fear etched on their faces. They run inside leaving the paper boats which is now being drowned by the spiralling rush of water. The plants are swooning under the weights of the fruits and the heavy rain.

All of a sudden the rain subsides. The sky clears up. As I see the setting sun in a plethora of colours I am glad to have lived one more day.

2 comments:

  1. Great picture you've painted with those words....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The plants are swooning..."
    Wonderful imagery, thanks so much for participating.

    ReplyDelete